The international Founders’ Meeting of 30/11 and 1/12 gave us the opportunity to define a set of overall objectives and specific actions we hope to conduct in 2019, while continuing some of the projects initiated in 2018:
This is what we hope to achieve in 2019 – some of these achievements being dependent on funding, some not:
Deepen and extend the U + network
The objective is to make the Plurality University Network’s international network real, that it becomes a natural place for information and practice sharing, discussions around projects and outcomes and a space that will facilitate collaboration among members.For this purpose, we will:
- Build an online platform for collaboration, sharing and co-production,
- Create mechanisms for governance and collective decisions (read the Project),
- Set up a program for open « virtual conferences »,
- Organize a second Global Meeting of the Plurality University Network, preferably in connection with an existing international event (end 2019-early 2020).
Give more density to the U+ network
The Plurality University Network is a « network of networks », it brings together individuals and organizations that are, in themselves, important nodes of local networks, thematic, etc. It must be a place for meaningful interactions and coproduction, both locally and globally.
To this end, we will:
- Initiate two international projects to facilitate exchange of content (Futures Fragments) and people (Peer-to-Peer Companionship)
- Facilitate the emergence of local nodes, starting with an initial experiment in France.
Coordinate Thematic Projects
The purpose of thematic projects is to mobilize a significant number of the network’s participants around common and inspiring topics, to produce both publicly available resources (knowledge, references, maps, tools ) and creations that illustrate the plurality of “thinkable futures” on specific subjects.
- During the second half of 2019, we will organize U+ Day, a single day distributed event around the same future-oriented topic;
- Launched in 2018 in France, the WORK+ project on the futures of work, will be pursued by both experimenting within companies and collectives. It will eventually produce to an open-source “game box” (French-English), allowing the content and method to be reused and improved internationally.
These projects will be developed in a collaborative way, making sure that creators, actors (corporations, public institutions, associations, etc.), citizens and researchers work together from the very beginning. The production process of such projects is as important as their result: it is the condition of their appropriation.
Invest in Research and Education
The Plurality University Network should aim at making many, many more people “futures-literate”, but also bring more to the current content of “futures literacy”. In 2019, it will initiate these activities by:
- Experimenting with new methods and content for futures literacy with real students and other audiences: U+ Lab;
- Initiating the creation of a Research Network on the role of imaginaries in thinking and shaping futures.
Produce Highly Visible, Accessible Material
All actions and projects described above will produce open-source deliverables that are free of access and reusable (CC-Attribution license). We will systematically seek to promote them by publishing the material or through media partnerships.At the end of the year, all of the projects will lead to the production of a « Yearbook« intended for a wide audience, accessible online and in paper format, at least in French and English. We will look for publishing partnerships with the help of the Plurality University Network’s international founders and members to maximize the impact.